I am a huge music fan! One day, I even hope to work in the music industry. But, it makes me sad that even though the business preaches equality, it is still extremely sexist. Recently, Taylor Swift, one of music's most successful artists, spoke about her experience with sexism in the industry. Now, I know that a lot of people don't like Swift for whatever reason, but she's right about this. She said, "A man does something, it's 'strategic'; a women does the same thing, it's 'calculated.' A man is allowed to 'react'; a women can only 'over-react.'" Industry executives, the majority of whom are male, constantly talk about how much they value women and equality in music, but I don't see that equality.  If you googled "Taylor Swift" right now, I bet that the first four articles that show up will be about what she wore to some event or something about her boyfriend. However, if you were to google "Ed Sheeran" or "Drake" or literally any other male artist, all of the headlines would be about their music and what is happening in their careers. It is going to be a long time before the music industry has gotten rid of sexism completely, and that may never happen. I just really hope industry executives can actually follow through with their whole "we love women" and "there is no sexism is this industry" spiel before I get there.


Image result for music sexism

Comments

Popular Posts