Junior Theme Reflection

My junior theme topic was the electoral college. I researched why the United States government is reluctant to abolish the electoral college in favor of a popular vote system. In my research, I found that the process to abolish or even change the electoral college would be very long and complicated. To change something that is in the constitution, 75% of states would have to agree along with ⅔ of both houses of Congress. I also found that abolishing the electoral college would be a bad thing for the United States current leaders, so why would they do anything to change that system?

I am very passionate about my topic because I think that the decision of the majority of the American people should be the final decision. Popular vote should decide the president because it actually represents the choice of the people. My opinion on the electoral college did not change at all after researching. However, I have realized that the abolishment of the electoral college in the near future is very unrealistic and that is something that I will have to deal with.

Comments

Popular Posts